1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
SO glad I can cheat.
Contemporary – Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Paranormal/Fantasy – This is a tie (but by the same author, so it’s not really cheating too much 😉 ) The Raven Boys and Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (Surprisingly, a lot of people didn’t like Shiver, but I fell in love with it.)
Dystopian – Hands down, the whole Legend trilogy by Marie Lu. Ugh, it was just amazing.
Historical Fiction – Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I’d have to say Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I loved the first three Lux books and was so excited for this book to come out, but when it finally did, it just wasn’t up to par with the rest of the books.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
The Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking. These books really surprised me because I had never heard of this author before and then I learned that she was self-published and that usually makes me kind of wary. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the books, but I really enjoyed them, and plan on reading more Amanda Hocking in the future.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I basically told everyone that they had to read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. (Not that any of them listened.) But oh my gosh, I loved this book. Although, if I’m being completely honest, I was a little bit annoyed with Hannah’s character at times but despite that, I thought the book was a really enjoyable, easy read.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
This is a hard one because there were quite a few series that I discovered, so I’ll narrow it down to my top three. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, Bloodlines by Richelle Mead (which is a spinoff of VA,) and Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. I read Vampire Academy because it was mentioned in Unearthly and ugh, both series were phenomenal.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Colleen Hoover, hands down.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. I’ve only read two of the books in the series, and I’m pretty sure there’s seven or eight books altogether, but so far I’m liking it. I usually stick to YA novels but a friend recommended this series to me and I’m quite enjoying it.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Mind Games by Kiersten White. This book was like an action movie, it was fast-paced, exciting and super tense. I can’t wait for the sequel, it’s gonna be craazaay!
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. I read this around Christmastime and it was just so cute, I’ll most likely read it again next Christmas.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
I thought this cover was so pretty and I just loved it so much. It was pretty much the main reason I picked this book up in the first place.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Evan Mathews from the Breathing series by Rebecca Donovan. I just love him so much.
12. MOST BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN BOOK READ IN 2013?
I really want to say The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater because her writing style is so unique and poetic, but I already used this book for an answer so I’m going to go with The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski. Oh my gosh, it was just written so well. It was amazing.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. I really connected with this book on a fairly deep level just because of everything the narrator was going through and feeling, I could just really relate.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Embarrassingly enough, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling. I know, I know.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest – Finding Cinderella by Colleen Hoover (105 pages)
Longest – City of Glass (The Mortal Instrustments) by Cassandra Clare (541 pages)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
UGH the end of Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead! I think we all know what I’m talking about. And if you don’t then you need to read it and find out because oh my gosh.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Sam and Grace from the Shiver series, they were so cute together.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler. I just loved the way this book was written, it was so cute with all it’s illustrations. It was like you were going through the breakup with the characters. It was great. (Not that breakups are great, but ugh this one was.)
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Probably paranormal/fantasy type books.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Oh my gosh, William Herondale, for sure. I just loved him, he was so bratty but had such a good heart.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Probably the Infernal Devices series. It was so fun to be transported back in time to the Shadowhunter world of the past, I loved it.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Even though I was in tears for a good chunk of the book, I’m gonna have to go with Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover which is the second book in the Slammed trilogy. It was just so easy and fun to read, and it really made me laugh despite the underlying tone of seriousness.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Oh my gosh, what book didn’t make me cry?! I very rarely cry, but books really know how to get to me. I cried while reading The Edge of Never, Point of Retreat, Shiver, The Fault in Our Stars, Eternal, Clockwork Princess, Boundless, aaaand Hopeless. So many tears. There’s probably a million more but that’s all I could remember off the top of my head. (That’s how you know it was a sobfest.)
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
The Winterhaven series. I never hear anybody talk about this series, but I really liked it and think more people should read it. So you, go read it! Another one I don’t hear people talk about too often is Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock. This book was so good! But nobody knows it cuz they haven’t read it! AHH.